Friday, October 8, 2010

Post #222

Jesse Eaves from World Vision spoke to us at InterVarsity's large group tonight about human trafficking. There are approximately 27 million slaves in the world today, more than any other point in history {according to the IJM}. An estimated 20,000 slaves are trafficked into the Unites States annually. I just want to be flown overseas and help all of the victims, the people who have been maliciously exploited all over the world. I want to do something now. I want to help now. I visited both World Vision and the IJM's website to see their internship opportunities, and I cannot do either for at least another year or so. Better yet, I looked at the qualifications and application processes for these organizations, and I was flooded with discouragement. My first thought was, "What could possibly make me stand out to these people? Why on earth would they select me?" As badly as I want to fight injustice and help these people, that isn't enough. That won't be enough to get me the opportunities or career that I so desperately desire! Right now, this seems like an impossible goal. But if this is what I'm passionate about, then there has to be a way, right? God wouldn't have made this issue of trafficking a priority in my life for no apparent reason, would He? Even though I feel defeated right now, I'm refusing to give up on this. I will impact these people through God's glory. Please Lord, make it so...

"Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few."
{1 Samuel 14:6}

"Rescue the weak and needy;
       deliver them from the hand of the wicked."
{Psalm 82:4}

My prayer, God, is that you will show me if this is indeed where you want me...
"4There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines..."
"27Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31But eagerly desire the greater gifts.  
And now I will show you the most excellent way." 

{1 Corinthians 12:4-11, 27-31} 
As much as I want to be a part of a justice organization like IJM, World Vision, or Freedom Firm, I want to also know if this is God's plan for me. Is this what I'm destined to do? If not, then where? What is my purpose and how can I best serve You? Help please...

"In a very real sense not one of us is qualified, but it seems that God continually chooses the most unqualified to do his work, to bear his glory. If we are qualified, we tend to think that we have done the job ourselves. If we are forced to accept our evident lack of qualification, then there's no danger that we will confuse God's work with our own, or God's glory with our own." 

Madeleine L'Engle


{Click here to read stories of children who have been victims of child slavery.}

0 comments:

Post a Comment