Friday, October 1, 2010

Curiosity doesn't kill the cat with nine lives.

I'm skipping the run-down. My apologies to the few who enjoy stalking my daily activities :)

Okay, so some of you may have read my blog post that mentioned a friend of mine who thought that posting scripture verses religiously on blogs or facebook was inappropriate or came across as "shoving Jesus down other people's throats." That thought kind of intrigued me, and I wanted to see if it legitimately made people feel uncomfortable, so I asked my friend Andrea about it. Andrea is one of my closest friends here, and she practices the Jewish faith. She told me that no, it didn't make her feel angry or that I was trying to force my beliefs on her. She simply said that it wasn't something that she couldn't relate to, but that people can post whatever they want to. Okay, so if my friend of a different faith is accepting of that, then why aren't certain christians? I'm not trying to convict or condemn anyone; I'm just morbidly curious.
Kind of switching topics... While I was talking to my friend about that, she mentioned that she thought it was weird when celebrities or famous athletes thanked Jesus for their talents/accomplishments. She doesn't believe that said talents are God-given. I wasn't going to argue with her. That could have turned into me coming off as rude or offensive, and I would never want to do that. However, I think it's important to remember that none of who we are is self-credited. God knew every inch of us while we were still in the womb; We are His creation. Every gift, blessing, talent, etc. is indeed from our Father. He endowed us with these things, and I think He definitely deserves all of the praise for our successes in those area. {Of course, He deserves praise for all of the glorious work He does, but I'm focusing strictly on this scenario.}
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
{James 1:17}
Like I've said to quite a few friends, we don't have to agree on everything for me to love you. I'm not willing to compromise my beliefs, but I do love Andrea :) Very much in fact!
New topic! Haha. I had dinner with a bunch of my SAO Gamma sisters tonight to interview each other and whatnot, and one of the things we ask each other is what our favorite scripture verse is. I think what I want to do is share one each day with you all. I always love hearing a new verse, especially if it's favored my someone. I just like wondering why it's their favorite or what about that verse spoke to them. I don't know, maybe I'm odd; haha. At any rate, this is Leslie's favorite:

1 They have greatly oppressed me from my youth—

       let Israel say-

 2 they have greatly oppressed me from my youth, 
       but they have not gained the victory over me.

 3 Plowmen have plowed my back 
       and made their furrows long.

 4 But the LORD is righteous; 
       he has cut me free from the cords of the wicked.

 5 May all who hate Zion 
       be turned back in shame.

 6 May they be like grass on the roof, 
       which withers before it can grow;

 7 with it the reaper cannot fill his hands, 
       nor the one who gathers fill his arms.

 8 May those who pass by not say, 
       "The blessing of the LORD be upon you; 
       we bless you in the name of the LORD."

{Psalm 129}

And one last thing. This is a lovely screen shot that Elizabeth took of me while we were skyping for over an hour and a half. She got a kick out of it; maybe you will too.
Goodnight my loves :) I love you! I miss you!

1 comments:

kayaygee said...

i agree with you 100 percent about the talent thing.... it's definitely God given. Or at least the fact that He helped you get there.... he helped give you the strength to achieve your goal..talent.. etc. Just my point of view :D

Post a Comment