Monday, February 7, 2011

Proverbs 6

This is going to be a short one, dear friends. I am quite tired, and I need to catch some Zzzz's.

If I'm being honest, I wasn't to sure what the first 5 verses were about when I first read it. But I consulted my handy-dandy footnotes, and so it seems that Solomon is warning us to not over-help those who are in need to the point where we are physically or financially spent. Of course it is important to give generously, but not to the extent that you or your family are suffering severely as a result. We do not just have a responsibility to help our neighbors, but our spouses/families as well. I still don't know exactly where Solomon was going with this, but I kind of do. Then again, I'm one of those people that would rather go broke then watch my friends endure hardship, so perhaps that's why I'm having a hard time just being like "Oh, I need to make sure I don't give too much to my friends, cause I need some stuff too." I don't know. Please feel free to share your thoughts with me. I'm getting more confused about it the more I type. {Maybe it's because I'm tired...}

Verses 6-15 tell us not to be lazy, but to be diligent and hardworking. That is not to say that we should not rest, but there needs to be a balance that is both adequate and efficient. In other words, don't think that sitting on the sofa watching TV 100 hours out of the 168 hour week is going to cut it. That, my friends, is when you become a "sluggard." Live up to your responsibilities, support yourself and your family, and work for the kingdom of God! Should we fall prone to slothful ways, we could likely lead ourselves to destruction.

"16 There are six things the LORD hates, 
   seven that are detestable to him: 
    17 haughty eyes, 
      a lying tongue, 
      hands that shed innocent blood, 
    18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, 
      feet that are quick to rush into evil, 
    19 a false witness who pours out lies 
      and a person who stirs up conflict in the community."

^^^Self explanatory, I think.

As for verses 20-35, we are one again reminded to heed the advice and wisdom of our mother and father. Their teachings will keep us from trudging down the path of immorality. Stepping on the path of the wicked, even if only temporarily, brings us harm. There will be punishment, shame, and self-distruction as consequences of abandoning God's path for us. Resist temptations {adultery is, once again, specifically mentioned}. The lure's of temptation are captivating, and they appeal to our sinful nature. But, as was mentioned in previous chapters, accepting the Lord's knowledge and wisdom into our hearts will save us from the ways of the wicked. God is our armor, our protector :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment