Thursday, February 24, 2011

Proverbs 23

Okay, this chapter seemed to be a bit of a doozy, but I think I understand what Solomon is getting at here. Basically, men of this earth are going to consistently and persistently tempt us; they will try their utmost to pull us into the way of sin. Greed, gluttony, and envy are are specifically addressed. We must seek out God's wisdom so that we may not become wayward through the cunning nature of the wicked.

"12 Apply your heart to instruction 
   and your ears to words of knowledge."

Listen to what the Lord has to say to you! Have an open heart so that you may be filled with His understanding! THIS IS IMPORTANT! (And for those who need further proof of its importance, see every single Proverbs chapter prior to this one. Solomon mentions it at least once per chapter, no joke.)

"15 My son, if your heart is wise, 
   then my heart will be glad indeed; 
16 my inmost being will rejoice 
   when your lips speak what is right."

Should we seek out and accept wisdom, our Father will delight in us! He rejoices when we are filled with and radiating His Spirit through our thoughts, words and actions. I want to please my Father! I want to make His heart fill with gladness! I want my Father to rejoice in me, His daughter.

"17 Do not let your heart envy sinners, 
   but always be zealous for the fear of the LORD. 
18 There is surely a future hope for you, 
   and your hope will not be cut off."

I, personally, do not understand how one could envy sinners when we have the enduring promise from our Father? He has given us true and purposeful life! He promises us eternal life with Him! How amazing is that?! Lord, I will forever fear and praise you. Have Your way with me! It certainly has to be more promising then whatever I would have chosen for myself... Take the wheel!

"26 My son, give me your heart 
   and let your eyes delight in my ways."

Lift your heart up to the Lord. Let Him fill it with gladness and cloak it in His righteousness. In everything you do, give God praise. Delight in His miracles, creations, presence, wisdom, EVERYTHING! Look around and be awe-struck! Nothing in our blessed lives could be anything less than the divine work of our most holy and gracious Father. He is so good to us!

0 comments:

Post a Comment