Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Proverbs 1

Let me start by saying that I was struck right off the bat by verse 7:

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge..."

Woah there! There is no way to truly be wise or obtain real knowledge without loving and revering God. No matter how book-smart you are or what degree you have, none of that equivalates to wisdom. The Lord needs to be our foundation! That just impacted me because society's view is so skewed from that! Craziness, I tell you.

Verses 8 and 9 also struck me, but in more of a convicting fashion. It's not easy for me to listen to my parents and honor their instruction, since I feel like our relationship isn't the strongest. It's not that I disrespect them, but I know that I need to work on the way I view my mom and dad as authority figures.

We are warned throughout the chapter to be mindful of the ways of the wicked, or those who have completely given in to sin. We are reminded to not fall into their way of life. Allowing ourselves to surrender to our temptations is often the easy way out; it often requires little to no self control. But to do so and still deem yourself a follower of Christ serves as a sign that you are abusing the grace that we are freely and wonderfully given. It is a gift. As we are told in verse 15:

"my son, do not go along with them, 
   do not set foot on their paths;"

Verses 20-33... loved them. I often feel as though God never really speaks to me, I mean literally speaks to me so that I can audibly hear Him. But I realize that's only because I'm not hearing it. Reading these verses and imagining God shouting and crying out me gave me insight to a truth: God is always desiring to communicate with me, but I have to take notice and open my heart to hear what He has to say. My Father can reach out His hand to me all He wants, but if I don't extend my hand to Him, then I am refusing that guidance. It is so easy to go about our scheduled, busy days and ignore the rebuke and messages that God is so desperate to share with us. It made me wonder how many times I have idly neglected to have God fill my heart with His thoughts and advice. I do not wish to be like those who remained wayward for so long that God became beyond reach, and I do not want the fruit that I bear to be merely of this earth.

30 Since they would not accept my advice 
   and spurned my rebuke, 
31 they will eat the fruit of their ways 
   and be filled with the fruit of their schemes. 
32 For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, 
   and the complacency of fools will destroy them; 
33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety 
   and be at ease, without fear of harm.”

To truly hear the voice of Wisdom. To accept it, understand it, and apply it. That shall be a goal for myself!

{Yay Proverbs Project!}

1 comments:

Heather Tobey said...

Good stuff! Especially where you said that "God is always desiring to communicate with me." I love that. I love that He is so in love with us that He cannot stop trying to get into our worlds and talk to us!

Post a Comment