Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"I need to get a job that involves people watching."

"Then you should go into anthropology."
"Ugh! I hate the study of rocks."
"......"
Bahahahaha! College kid fail :P Anyways........

Thank you Sylvia Plath for this awkward mindset I just found myself in. I'm reading her book The Bell Jar for my literature class, and let me just say it is far from a tale filled with sunshine and daisies. It deals with alienation, suicide, and depression {depression being the big one}. I read approximately 185 pages of it today, and I literally found myself contemplating my own "symptoms of depression" on the walk back to my dorm {which was around midnight}. However, I am well aware that I am not depressed, nor do I have any significant reason to be. Naturally, I was perplexed. My theory is just that I spent so long inside the twisted reality created by Sylvia Plath that I started to see things from the main character's perspective. It's strange... and awkward. Luckily some time in shower dulled down that craziness.

Tonight's small group was good. We talked about body image-- the way we are seen by God, society, and ourselves. It was really nice to talk about the traits of Godly women {girls, check out Proverbs 31!}, what it means to be made in His image, and what it means to be fearfully and wonderfully made. This issue of body image has been weighing on my heart for quite some time, so I'm really glad we got to talk about it and look at things in a Biblical sense as opposed to a strictly secular one. Our discussion also made me realize that I have overcome the struggle I was having when I got back to school. I had originally been changing my eating habits and working out as much as possible just so I could sort of go to my dad and say "I AM fit!" or "What do you think of me NOW?" But I've let that go, and scripture was a refreshing reminder that I AM beautiful and that I always have been in God's eyes :) We finished out our night decorating HUGE granny-panties, haha! We each wrote the following verse on them:

"You are altogether beautiful, my darling; 
   there is no flaw in you."
{Song of Solomon 4:7}
As silly as we look, it was so great! I do love my small group :) Goodnight loves!

0 comments:

Post a Comment