Monday, February 28, 2011

I'm sorry I abandoned you, blog!

I didn't blog the past two nights, and for that I apologize. It felt odd, I'm not going to lie, but sleep took a priority. Even then, though, I didn't get my eight hours. Sad day, I know, but I mustn't dwell on that.

This weekend was lovely, If I do say so myself. I was very productive Friday afternoon by finishing all of my laundry and rearranging posters/art/sketches on my walls, all before the film showing that night that was sort of a kick-off for the Hands That Heal Aftercare Training (but I'll talk about that more in a second). Upon leaving church, I spent the evening at Heather's, which always makes my heart happy :) In the early morn, we ventured over to University of Richmond for the actual aftercare training (aka Human Trafficking 101). Even though it was kind of a long day, the time went by quickly for me! I feel like I learned so much! And my eyes were opened to some things that I had previously (foolishly) overlooked. A lot of what was covered was in regards to domestic trafficking, which was a rather novel approach for me (since most of what I've read/learned about was on the international scale). I had never considered that prostitutes were victims of trafficking and exploitation. Now, you might be sitting there going, "Really Stephanie? That wasn't obvious to you?" No. And I'll tell you why. The media is constantly depicting prostitutes as women that want to be selling themselves and that enjoy sleeping with 20 or more men each day. They leave out the part about the pimps, the constant abuse, the brainwashing, the essential abduction.... No, the whole disturbing truth is never addressed. In my mind, sex trafficking was somewhat confined to girls and boys being abducted and taken to a foreign nation where they are constantly sold and placed in brothels to be sexually used day after day. I suppose it doesn't seem so different, those two scenarios, I just never linked the two together. The point is, though, that this training providing me with a lot of information not just about trafficking in general, but also tips in how to work with victims through aftercare. I am by no means certified to go out there and counsel anyone, but it served as a good general knowledge base.

Saturday evening, I got to see my dad for the first time since winter break. Jennifer and I had dinner over at his house, and it was delicious. I even got to talk to him a little bit about what I had learned that day! To my surprise, he actually already knew some of what I told him. I actually talked to my mom for a good while about that too! She wasn't as informed as my dad was, and I think her mind was a little bit blown. But it's the first time I've actually sat down and talked to her about what I want to do with my life after school! Improvement! Woop! Speaking of... I spent my Saturday night with my mom and sister. We went to see "Just Go With It," and it was enjoyed by all. I liked being able to just hang out with family without feeling irritated or frustrated. Things seem to be looking up under my roof! Praise!

Today, I enjoyed a wonderful breakfast date with my little love, Kaitlyn :) I'm so glad we finally got to hang out! This summer, I will be introducing her to edamame and sushi! Haha, I've already told her so :) From there, we ventured over to church. I love my church. I love my friends. I love.... my life right now :) I love that I was able to enjoy my time at home and still not dread having to come back to school. I was excited to go to my sorority dinner, meeting, and worship night. I loved seeing my sisters, and I now (in this time in my college career) feel like, no matter where I am, I am surrounded by people who love me. I wish I could express to you how much easier that makes things for me, but words would fail.

Sadly, I must end here. My eyes are very tired and I'm ready to leave Carrier. (Yes, I'm in the library.... I had to read 81 pages for literature AND write my extra credit proposal.) I love you all so dearly! Goodnight!

P.S.- I'll catch up on Proverbs Project eventually, really I will.

ALSO!!!!! You should follow my beloved sister, Stephanie's, blog! She just made one tonight! Eeeeep!

1 comments:

Stephanie Nicole said...

Yay!! I love when you give me shout outs in your blog!!! <3

Post a Comment