Friday, December 3, 2010

Things need not be taken for granted.

Today consisted of many things, most of which involved schoolwork. I did, however, have a lovely lunch date with Kim today :) I just love spending time with my little Kimberly. She makes me so happy and I love being awkward with her :) Once my classes were done, I grabbed some Chick-fil-a and then walked over to TDU to hang out with Ariel for a little while. That was enjoyable as well :) Sadly though, I had to make my way back to the dorm fairly early so that I could finish doing participant pool nonsense for PSYC and start writing my draft for GWRTC. I feel pretty confident about that paper now. The draft due tomorrow has to be three pages long {mine's four} without the introduction or conclusion, and the final paper {which counts as our final exam} only has to be 5 pages. Woop woop! Not to mention I have two books waiting to picked up at the library that will have even more information to add to what I have already. I feel like I'm in a good spot right now, and that makes me very happy.

You know, I've been thinking a lot lately about how I've let the chaos of school interrupt my awareness of God, and it really hits me at night. As I get in bed and go to pray, the reminder of just how blessed I am really hits me in full force. As I lay there in my nice, comfortable bed, I think about all of the people around the world who don't have a proper mattress or bed to sleep on. I think about all of the complaining that I do about school and remember that there are so many people on this earth who would kill to be where I am right now and have the opportunities that I have. And I think about the fact that I am safe and unharmed in my dorm room. So many innocent people are being trafficked, raped, abused, enslaved, and killed, yet here I sit in the comfort of JMU. My biggest prayers are for those who are victimized by said injustices. I pray that they do not lose hop and that they know that they have a Father who loves them and can save them--a Savior who can lift them up from these tragedies. I pray that He will move swiftly and with haste. I pray that they will be made free. That could so easily have been me. I could have been born into that scenario... But I wasn't. And for that I should be on my knees and profusely giving thanks to God for my blessings. I often take what I have for granted, and that needs to change. It's like what we talked about at the Thanksgiving service. We need to take the things in our live that often displease us and look at it as something to be grateful for.

I thank God for the school work, because it means that I'm fortunate enough to be receiving an education.
I thank God for the issues I've faced with my family, because they helped bring me to my closest friends.
I thank God for the Eagle Penthouse, because I know I have a place to live.
I thank God for fire alarms, because I know my well-being is taken into consideration.
I thank God for the upsets, because He always makes me stronger as a result.

I could go on for quite some time, but I think the point is clear. Always praise the Lord for what you have, and {especially this time of year} try not to place emphasis on the things you don't have. God is the ultimate provider, and He will never forsake you. Goodnight my loves. Pleasant dreams.


"6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
{Philippians 4:6-8}

"22 'Have faith in God,' Jesus answered. 23 'Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them.'"
{Mark 11:22-23}

"16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."
{1 Thessalonians 5:16-18}

0 comments:

Post a Comment