Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Oh the workings of my brain...

I had something that I was thinking about earlier, so I want to discuss that. Let me start, though, by giving a run-through of today:

  • Got lunch with Kristina.
  • Went to GCOM and government.
  • Got dinner at Mrs. Green's.
  • Ate dinner in my room while I annotated this ridiculous essay. (Keep in mind, I chose this article; thus this particular writing sample was not required for me to read. However, my strong opinions regarding his statements make it much easier to write a lengthy response.)
  • Went to see a boring movie for government with Ariel (my Big!) and a girl named Stephanie who's also in my class.
  • Came back to my dorm and bumped-out a three page analysis of the previously mentioned essay.

College life can be boring sometimes, as you can see...

Okay, so as I was walking back to Eagle after class, a thought occurred to me; we all experience moments of selfishness. At one point or another, we are all somewhat self-involved, if only for a moment. I agree, this isn't any sort of shocking or life-altering revelation, but it got me thinking. Is it okay to be selfish every now and then if you place God at the center of your life? If He is the core of your being? Is that even the same as being self-centered? Does that all depend on your standard or definition of "selfish?" My thoughts include (but are not limited to) this: No, you should not be selfish in regards to focusing your thoughts on yourself in a fashion that brings about self-gratification or satisfaction. However, I think it's important every once in a while to evaluate your spiritual status, faith, and relational standing with the Lord. All of these aspects are somewhat "self-centered" in that you are contemplating and analyzing you. Reverting back to my original question: Is this okay? Is it to secular? Are we missing something essential when we do this? Does it depend on your motivation? Is all of this circumstantial?

Maybe that made sense to you, and maybe it just sounded like a bunch of mindless babbling. It wasn't poetic, nor was it profound. Nonetheless, it was on my mind, and I would love to get your opinions if you are willing to share. If I learned (or rather re-confirmed) anything after reading that article, it is the importance of an open mind. Not only that, but others need to be taken into consideration. Condemnation and judgement will get you nowhere, especially in the eyes of Jesus.
1"You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment? 4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?"
{Romans 2:1-4}
Well, this certainly turned into an odd collage of thoughts didn't it? My apologies for the randomness of tonights tangent. I just have one more odd bit to throw in here:
{My first thought: Anonymous. Right?}

I love you all so much! Don't forget to send me your prayer requests if you have any! Goodnight my loves :)
23"Peace to the brothers, and love with faith from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 24Grace to all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with an undying love."
{Ephesians 6:23-24}

0 comments:

Post a Comment