Monday, September 27, 2010

New Student Retreat

was lovely :) Thank you for leading me there, Jesus :)

As you all know, it is nearly impossible to summarize amazing experiences such as these in words. I will, however, leave you with a glimpse of what we discussed, and what we did. Let me start by having you read this article that was in Sports Illustrated, and once you've read it, watch this video.
I cried when I heard this story, when I watched the footage, and during the worship that followed. Yes, my dad loves me, but I honestly don't think he would do that for me. As saddening as that may seem, God would, and He does everyday! We are all born with the disability of sin, and day after day God pushes and pulls us through life. He takes us out of the darkness and into the light of His love! It is because of Him that we can find freedom, glory, and salvation in a life that often debilitates us. Our Father never gives up on us; He never loses hope. What love He has for us :) How could we not love our Lord with that knowledge in mind?


 14 Sing, O Daughter of Zion; 
       shout aloud, O Israel! 
       Be glad and rejoice with all your heart, 
       O Daughter of Jerusalem!


 15 The LORD has taken away your punishment, 
       he has turned back your enemy. 
       The LORD, the King of Israel, is with you; 
       never again will you fear any harm.


 16 On that day they will say to Jerusalem, 
       "Do not fear, O Zion; 
       do not let your hands hang limp.


 17 The LORD your God is with you, 
       he is mighty to save. 
       He will take great delight in you, 
       he will quiet you with his love, 
       he will rejoice over you with singing." 


{Zephaniah 3:14-17}
Our discussions this week were centered around knowing God, being known by God, and making God known. We talked about how...
Faith is meant to be personal, but not private. 
God calls us his sons and daughters. Do you believe Him? 
God tells us that we too can be righteous. Do you believe Him?
Christianity is not about managing our sins.
We all need to be carried to the finish line, and we can't do it alone. (article)
We are called to be a witness, not an evangelist. 
It is important to befriend non-believers and Christians alike; even before the disciples made professions of faith, Jesus called them friends.


I think that last point is crucial in our role as children of God. If you think about it, we all started there. There was a point in all of our lives when we did not/could not comprehend the Gospel. I know I was once a non-believer-- not because I had rejected God's word, but because I did not know it. And though it did not happen instantaneously, you all embraced me with open arms and I could see the glory of God being put on display. Grasping the idea of Christianity is hard at first, but it is so much easier when you see and receive the love of Jesus through your peers. For He is the center of that love, kindness, and compassion. I want to be to someone else what you all were to me :) This retreat has kindled a flame in my heart to be a witness-- to bring my new friends and acquaintances into God's open arms :) Eeep!


10 As the rain and the snow 
       come down from heaven, 
       and do not return to it 
       without watering the earth 
       and making it bud and flourish, 
       so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the
       eater,


 11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: 
       It will not return to me empty, 
       but will accomplish what I desire 
       and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

{Isaiah 55:10-11}

And now, the picture portion:
 {Brianna and I.}
 {Bonnie Jean and I. Talk about eyes of glory!}
 {We fit at least 10 of us in the truck bed, no big deal.}
 {Melissa is scary.}
 {Awkward.}
 {Back seat crew: me, Bonnie Jean, and Paige.}
 {The front: Betsey, Kim, and Samantha.}
{My friendship bracelet I made. It's too short though, so unfortunately it's stuck being a keychain. Oh well!}

Goodnight, dear loves! I miss you all quite tremendously! I am thinking of you always :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment