Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"You two are turtles... of the awkward variety."

Well, my classes officially started today! I started off with Social Issues, and I think I al really going to love that class {despite the homework load I have just from the first day}. But the first thing he had us do was write about an issue {locally or globally} the we were interested/concerned in, and we had to say what we thought was the primary cause of said issue. It was interesting to see the various responses throughout the room: the BP oil spill, unemployment, gay rights, stereotyping, etc. This warm-up directly relates to our first writing topic; which I'm pretty excited about actually. Yes, I will be writing what will probably be a rather lengthy essay on sex trafficking. It's cool because he's using this as a way to see what our interests are and to kind of see what we want to get out of his class. Well sir, please begin to prepare me for the IJM! Do you think he can do that?... Anyways, I met a girl named Megan in the elevator as I was leaving for that class {which she also had with me!}, and she was so nice! Something I though was pretty great: She asked me if I had gone out at all since I'd been here. I told her that I didn't drink. Her response? "That's so cool!" Wow, that one blew my mind! I'm so happy that I haven't been judged for my sober ways ONCE since I've been here. I haven't felt forced, pressured, or anything. It makes me feel happy and relieved :) But back to my classes! Carleigh is in my Critical Reading & Writing class, so that's good! Unfortunately, our teacher is actually a grad student, so we are his guinea pigs. Not only that, but the class looks like it's going to be a drag. Ugh. Anyways, I got lunch at D-hall with Andrea and Danielle before going to my Government class. I got to the building a little early and got to talk to Emily Wilcox for a short while! It was nice to see a familiar, friendly face! The government class might not be too bad. I can't tell as of yet. A lot of stuff is going to be done in teams though, so hopefully I get some hard-working people! So those were my classes for the day. I came back to the dorm and started my SOCI homework, and then met up with Kristina Elliot for dinner. Afterwards, we found a very convenient bus stop and showed each other our dorms. Then, the 8th floor ladies had to go to a "wedgie." Yeah, it sounds awkward, but really we were just painting and receiving door wedges, haha.
Danielle and I definitely needed one, so that was a good thing! After doing a little more homework, I went to the InterVarsity ice cream social with Brittany and Brianna; where I also saw J. Blair, Ashton, Rachel, and Daniel. I was the queen of awkward at that shindig, haha! I had the twins laughing uncontrollably; their eyeballs all leaky and whatnot :) Little spurts, like the title of this blog {which was actually directed toward Daniel and this guy named Patrick}, just send them over the edge. I love it! Those girls are too sweet. I have a feeling we're going to be tight :) The rest of my night consisted of showering {the lights turned off a few times while I was in there... weird} and doing more SOCI homework. I still need to work on that actually, so I'll stop here. I love you all! Don't forget to text me and whatnot whenever you want! I love hearing from you all :) Goodnight my loves!
{That tall building on the left would be my dorm :) }

0 comments:

Post a Comment