Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Global Leadership Summit

I, along with about ten other interns, attended the GLS both today and yesterday. The days were long, but overall it was a pretty good conference, filled with some pretty inspirational speakers. I won't lie to you, I feel asleep during one of them, but the rest were at least fairly engaging. I won't go into a huge shpeel, but here are a few people I found truly inspiring/intriguing.

Mama Maggie, also known as the "Mother Theresa of Cairo," is such a humble and incredible woman. She literally kissed the floor of the stage so that it may be blessed by God. When she started her speech, she was looking straight up towards Heaven with tear-filled eyes. Only seeing her speak would ever truly do her justice, but my guess is that she is the closest thing this world has to an angel in human form. She started the organization Stephen's Children, where she ministers and aids over 25,000 families in the garbage slums of Cairo. Truly, she is a saint.

Cory Booker is the Mayor of Newark, New Jersey, and he has made it his mission to reduce the crime rate in that city. What really struck me about him was his determination to do just that, and he really cares about the safety and security of the people he represents. Not only that, but he holds your attention!

I really want to see Street Fight, the documentary that follows his mayoral election! I think it would be really interesting.

Michelle Rhee used to be the chancellor of the D.C. public school system, and despite her lack of expertise, she had a genuine heart for kids. She made extremely hard and controversial decisions so that, even though she had adults screaming insults to her face, children could get the quality education they needed and deserved--something that had been very much lacking. I also loved that, in response to the last interview question at the summit, she admitted that she is not yet able to call herself a Christian. She confessed that she is so logical in her thinking that it is making it difficult for her to accept the supernatural nature of God and to depend on Him despite not being able to physically see and touch Him. However, she said her and her husband are going through the Experiencing God workbook together every day, so I pray that she will soon be able to give her life to God! She seems like an amazing woman!

Related to her, I want to see Waiting for Superman!

Well, they were my faves! I'm sleepy now, so goodnight all :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment