Thursday, May 19, 2011

My first official night as a youth leader

was so great :) I definitely feel like I am where I'm supposed to be right now! I love seeing familiar faces of lovely friends and getting to know some new faces. I love dancing like a fool with girls who don't mind doing it with me. I love taking them by the hand to help me pry a group of boys apart. I love watching them worship, and getting to worship alongside them. Seriously, seeing that room tonight during worship was so amazing and full of energy :) Yeah, I even loved having to stand up front and having hard-boiled eggs smashed on my head, haha. Hey, such is the life of a WEAG youth leader ;) As Kelly said, "Hey, I mean you kind of signed yourself up for it." Love that. Tonights talk was about sex. And even though some of the girls found it awkward, I think Nikki did a lovely job. Some may think that topics like that are sort of taboo, but hey, these things need to come up at some point or another--especially in an age where "16 and pregnant" has become a cliche and the term "sexting" has its own wikipedia page. I even got to answer a few questions from one of the girls. Needless to say, I felt more comfortable tonight than I did monday in terms of taking on the role of a "leader." I loved the experience, and I loved the fellowship :) If I have learned anything from my time at church (and this includes my entire time there since February 2009), it is that people can be truly compassionate, relational beings. I love being able to just start talking to someone without any serious awkward moments of silence or anything. I love that one little girl came up to me and just said "Hey!" I love that I talked to an older boy who I've never really talked to before and he, knowing somehow that I went to JMU, shared with me that he was going to Bridgewater next year. It's little things like that :) I can already tell that I'm going to learn so much this summer, and I hope to make myself vulnerable enough to where God can really mold me as He sees fit. I'm getting stoked :)

After youth group tonight, I went to Buffalo Wild Wings with an awesome group of people :) Sure the waiter forgot about me, brought me too many wings, charged me for the extra wings, and never gave me a refill, but hey, hakuna-matata. I had a really nice time :) And even though most of them don't know me extremely well, they treated me like a friend, and it really meant a lot to me :) We laughed a lot, and talked about each other's abnormalities. Haha :D

I got to talk to my darling Hannah tonight :) We essentially talked for 2 hours via telephone/skype. I love her, to bits and tiny pieces! I love that she never gets sick of me, and that she puts up with my somewhat defensive tendencies ;) I love the similarities between us that become more and more apparent as we become closer, and I love that I get to call her sister :) She makes me so incredibly happy :)

And in case people were wondering what I did prior to youth group (believe it or not, some people actually are interested in what I do during the day, haha!):

  • Sweet Frog with Kristina :)
    • We had a woman come up to us and basically ask how we were able to eat ice cream and still be thin. Hahahaha! Long story short, I informed her that it was actually fat-free frozen yogurt. Haha.
  • Got the car inspected.
    • I actually need two new tires and the rear-engine mount looked at. Womp!
  • Cleaned the rabbit cage.
  • Dinner at dad's.
    • I had to eat it in ten minutes... I'm a profession scarfer.

Goodnight loves! See ya tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That "Older boy" was he super tall and skinny with a buzz cut if so that was probably my friend Zach he is a senior this year, we have been friends for a very long time. He would do something like that he is very proud and happy to be going to bridgewater

Nikki said...

yay :)

Post a Comment