Saturday, April 24, 2010

Digging Deep.

Today, in Intro to Humanities, we discussed public art. I love discussing opinion and outlooks on artworks! They're just so open to different visions and interpretations that it can truly reveal one's outlook on life and its many aspects. These are just a few of my favorites that we pondered:

Keith Haring's Painted Aluminum Sculptures
(Although these sculptures don't have a title, they just make me smile. Why? Because they're actually a playground for children! Yes, that was their purpose in being built. It's meant to challenge a child's creative mindset by having them question how to play with it or if they're even allowed to. Oh, I would definitely enjoyed playing on these as a kid. Who am I kidding?! I'd be playing on it right now if I could!)

Maya Lin, Sounding Stone
(This stone is one of many in its series. Each stone is actually now used as a trashcan! Yeah, that giant, shiny block of granite is used for people to toss out there McDonald's bags and Starbucks cups. Can you imagine throwing something away in a piece of art that was taller than you? Clearly, this man is just as befuddled as I am, haha. The varying textures on each side though, apparently allow you to perceive sound differently due to the varying textures.)

Allison Shots, Mirror Fence
(This fence is completely reflective, and although it doesn't have any particular message or meaning behind it (to my knowledge), its aesthetic quality is lovely.)

Tibor Kalman and Scott Summer, Everybody
(So, this is actually the front of a gym. But I'm intrigued by it just because of the boldness of the word EVERYBODY; no exceptions, no rejections...)

Janet Zweig, Your Voices
(Okay, this was definitely my favorite because it made me think of Anonymous! The artist simply placed these mailboxes in the middle of an office building. And, without being told or informed about what these boxes were, people started walking up to them and placing their dreams, complaints, obsessions, etc. into the box that corresponded with what they had written down. It just goes to show you that we are all willing to share our secrets; as long as we don't have to own up to them... As a continuation of this work, Zweig plans on adding to the series by taking the secrets placed within each box and collaging them to be displayed elsewhere in the same building. I would love to see this; I would, I would.)

Since the youth show was just brought up, I cannot believe the affect it is having on me. It isn't just me though, it's almost everyone! Never have I ever had so many of my friends open up to me; share events and thoughts that can only be unveiled from the greatest depths of their hearts. Although it can be sad and emotional, I feel as though we've broken down a barricade of sorts. Maybe not completely, but I definitely sense a new sort of trust and dependence amongst our youth choir; or at least with my friends. I don't feel like I need to hide anything anymore. We are all putting our hearts on the line; ALL OF US. We are not in this alone, and I think we're all starting to realize it. I love the relationship quality that's resulting from all of this. And whether this show is uplifting to you or not, you can't deny what's happening all around you. We are all changing; growing; trusting; maturing.... Oh, my dearest Tess, you were so incredibly right. I love it :)

1 comments:

Heather Tobey said...

i love that sign for the gym. that is so creative and very welcoming. i also love that it is yellow, yellow is a happy color :)

i am loving what is happening amongst our friends as well. i think the impact of the show isn't just going to stop after it is all said and done. i believe that it will be a lasting impact on our relationships with each other. i just pray that everyone catches this fever and that no one is left out. it is amazing!

Post a Comment