Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sometimes I stop and wonder...

Just what is the point?

I think every college kid struggles with this at one point or another. If you're like me, it happened when you're writing a paper that will have no significance once you turn it in, or you're working on an assignment for a GenEd/elective course that has absolutely NOTHING to do with your chosen career path (yet you have to take it to obtain the credits you need to graduate). Yes, education is good, and I know that I am beyond blessed to be receiving one; that I do not take for granted. I just wish that these courses we spend hundreds of dollars on would be more catered to preparing us for our futures. Even more than that, I wish that the emphasis was on making sure we really understand what we're learning as opposed to getting grades to fulfill the university's scale. I want someone to sit down with me and teach me the skills I need in order to help someone who has endured terrible trauma. I want to know what needs I need to meet and how to meet them. I want to know the do's and don't's of providing therapy and counseling. I want the low-down on how to reintegrate a person into the society they were ripped out of. These are things that I need to know, and they are also things I may never really learn in college. I wish I did, I really do. When I go out into the world to serve my brothers and sisters, I want to be as educated and prepared as I can be. They deserve nothing less. Sometimes I just wonder if going through all of this will actually be what educates me, or if it will be a complete culture-shock once I'm really working in the field. My guess is that I will truly learn my need-to-knows once I'm put in a position, and I'm not sure if that is exciting or scary...

Regardless of my opinion on this matter, I have a journal to write for my Improv class. Goodnight loves, and pleasant dreams :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment