Monday, January 16, 2012

A series of events,

all of which worked, in one way or another, for my benefit. I didn't see it at the time, and it is something that is easy to overlook/difficult to appreciate without thorough hind-sight. As I was preparing for my testimony today, I re-visited the crazy web of events that led up to who I am/what I'm experiencing today. I want to attempt to give you some example of what I mean...

Starting cheerleading at the age of 4. → It was at a USA cheering practice that I first saw the competition dance team and wanted to be a part of it. → I started dancing, and realized that was what I loved. → I got auditioned/got in to Center for the Arts. → I met and became very close friends with Addie. → She brought me to youth group with her. → I started learning about who Jesus truly was and forming a relationship with Him. → I started getting involved in Bible study, youth group, Sunday service, and youth choir. → I made the most amazing friends I could have ever dreamed of. → They became my support system, my encouragement, and my family. → They served as an amazing testament of what God's love looks like amongst His children.

Regular attendance at youth group/Bible study expanded my knowledge on the Bible as well as the injustices in the world. → I was introduced to the issue of human trafficking. → I realized that I wanted to work for an organization like IJM. → Social Work became my major of interest for college. → JMU is actually the only school I applied to that offered a Social Work major. (So it ended up being a blessing that I didn't get accepted to UVA.) → I became a part of the most amazing sisterhood I could have ever imagined. → I have a family here at school, too! And it is centered on Christ :)

I encountered some intense family conflict in my senior year of high school. →I had a few amazing youth leaders reach out to me with their advise and guidance. → The love the poured into me made me want to give that same love back to the youth group. → I became a youth intern/leader. → I forged relationships with middle and high schoolers that pushed my understanding of God's love, strength, and glory even further than what I had ever previously fathomed.

My parents got divorced when I was around 10 years old. → My mom got remarried. → Her and her husband bought a house in West Virginia. → I was home almost every weekend by myself starting in the 10th grade. → I was given a great deal of independence without structure or restrictions. → I was able to spend about 4 nights a week with Addie. → (see above)

My brother was murdered when he was 23; I was 13. → Knowing who/what he was involved with, I had a reason for a moral compass through my middle and high school years. → I was open to the idea of seeing what church was really about.→ I developed the knowledge and affirmation that God is in all things and in every situation.→ I received a comfort that I never knew existed when I was 13.

I was not raised a Christian. → I was able to come to Christ on my own, based on my desire to know God-- not by coercion or persuasion.

... I have to be honest with you, I could sit here and go at this for a while, but I think you see what I mean. Both the joys and struggles in out lives mold us into who God wants us to be-- the person He created us to be! There is purpose in everything, and the result (whether it is apparent or not) is going to be beautiful! Trust God, place your faith in Him, and let Him lead you down the path He has set before you :)

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
{Romans 8:28}

0 comments:

Post a Comment