Saturday, May 1, 2010

Where the wild things are...

Well, I apologize for my emotional spurt earlier. I had overlooked a major chunk of this scholarship I was supposed to apply for, and let's just say that I'm not one to enjoy stress. On a positive note, I was able to get the rest of it together in 3 short hours! That's right! Without skipping any class I was somehow able to get my hands on my transcripts and test scores, three letters of recommendation, a 500 word essay, list of extracurriculars, list of community service, and a list of honors and awards I've received throughout my high school career. Now I won't had to face the disappointed/angry facials, sighs, and lashes from my mother. Glory, glory! At any rate, my body is exhausted. Either that or my piece for senior showcase is just physically draining. Sarah and I only ran through it once today and we were wiped. Fail? Maybe. Speaking of the showcase(!!!) I wanted to share my title with you: Introvert: a battle within the self :) I'm pretty stoked; not gonna lie. Moving on, haha! I had another lovely Starbucks date with Kelly today. Oh, how she does make me smile! Hip hop followed up our little rendez-vous, and I enjoyed myself. No matter how productive some people (cough cough, Nikki...) think it is, I always have an incredible time :) Part of that could be due to the amazing company (duh!), but the dancing is just an amazing outlet :) Oh! And I got to see the lovely Heather for a brief time slot, and that made me happy :) Pshhh, as if she didn't already know that..... :) Okay! So after class (and a brief parking lot chat) I headed on over to Julie's to watch Where the Wild Things Are. First of all, this movie had no indication of being based of a children's book. Secondly, I felt some crazy correlation to internal struggles that everyone faces. At one point or another, I think we are all Max. Here is this little boy who just tries so hard to enjoy his life and share it with the people he loves. There's always someone/something, though, that destroys his moment of bliss. Try as he might, he can never please everyone. These expectations are placed on him, and someone is always left disappointed. And even when he finds a seemingly perfect getaway from the issues of reality, the same exact problems slip through the separation barrier. In the end, he ends up back where he started, but with a new understanding; a new lesson learned. Truth is held in this; at least in the literal sense. You can accomplish so much, yet still end your day in the same spot you woke up in. Craziness? Somewhat daunting? I think so. I love getting something out of movies; especially when you aren't expecting to. It just proves that film is indeed an art form which encompasses a purpose and a meaning that lies below the surface.

0 comments:

Post a Comment