Friday, November 4, 2011

{1 Peter 3:8}

"Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble."

Today has shown me that what a lot of us want more than anything is to live our lives in unity as brothers/sister in Christ. Any point of division or fractions weakens us, whether emotionally, spiritually, or otherwise. Given the opportunity of vulnerability, I have expressed the burdens laying on my heart. In doing so, I had more love and support extended to me than I would have ever thought. I think that is something a lot of us struggle with, yet we desperately crave it: wanting to be vulnerable with our brothers/sisters, but not not being sure of how to break down barriers. There has to be a point in which our fear is diminished and our courage overwhelming; it is then that your community can formulate a bond that goes beyond superficiality.

I may sounds like a broken record, but my relationships are at the top of my priority list. And though I have come to find that others share in that same nature, there seems to be a disconnect in reciprocity. In other words, the love they pour out is only returned in part. When I read this verse, I see a basic guideline in how we should love and be in community with others. Be sympathetic; take time to listen to the burdens of others, and help them carry it. Do so with genuine compassion in your heart, and humble yourself so that you brother or sister realizes that you are there for them (not for self-satisfaction or gratification). Above all, love them as a brother/sister, for they are nothing less than that. God calls us to love, and to love everyone. When considering the value I place on my friendships, this verse came to mind:

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
{John 15:13}

This I can honestly say: When it comes to my friends, whom I love with all of my soul, I would lay down my life for them if necessary. No questions asked. Now here is my personal challenge: Would I do the same for a brother/sister whom I do not know in such an intimate way? My answer is not as certain, and in that sparks another challenge for myself: Genuinely love everyone. I don't have to hug them or hold their hand or squeal their name every time I see them, but in my interactions I can embody the love of Christ and allow that to guide my behavior. It certainly will not be easy, some may argue it isn't even attainable, but I believe that we are called to try. Whole-hearted intention will breed results; God can use that. He will use it. Because our love plants seeds, and our Father makes those seeds flourish-- in His time, and according to His beautiful and unfathomable plan.

"37 When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else. 38 But God gives it a body as he has determined, and to each kind of seed he gives its own body."
{1 Corinthians 15:37-38} 

I'm going to be honest with you, I'm not sure what all I just wrote, but I know that what I said was on my heart. I love you all, and hopefully this made some sort of sense in a way that can be applicable to your life in some way. May your day be filled with love, joy, and peace. Farewell!

0 comments:

Post a Comment