Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Monday.

Today was pretty good I think (minus not doing too well on my world religions quiz and getting ZERO work done). After classes, I got lunch with Samantha, mailed my internship application, and headed over to the Clothesline Project.


This event included hundreds of shirts (the ones above and attached to this link were from other event locations) made by JMU students [and the Harrisonburg community] that told their stories of rape and sexual abuse. Some shirts were in support of friends/family who were abused, others were personal accounts of survival. Seeing all of these stories hanging up all over the room was really intense. One shirt in particular was made by a girl who was raped and impregnated at the age of 17. She never said anything about what happened, and the same guy ended up raping her best friend too. When she got the abortion, her reproductive organs were damaged to the point where she can no longer have children. I almost cried when I read one of the last sentences at the bottom: "To the children I can never have, I think about you every day." I did not realize before today how prevalent sexual violence and abuse is in our society. There were hundreds of shirts from JMU students alone, and those are just the ones who decided to speak out! I need to find some way to help; I want to so badly! I think I may talk to my SAO sister, Jenn, about C.A.R.E.; they're trained to help peers who are struggling with sexual assault. Even though seeing all of these tragedies displayed was heartbreaking, it was a definite reality check and wake-up call for me. I would most certainly rather be broken than naive.

After leaving the event, I was able to spend some quality time with some sisters on the quad. I enjoyed relaxing and soaking up some sun, even if I have mild tan lines from my sunglasses..... yikes. Hannah, Courtney, and myself went to the Groove tonight, where our friend Talita taught a few tracks. She did so well! I certainly enjoyed it :) Then it was off to small group as per usual, and from there I went to Carrier. However, I wasn't doing homework. I skyped with Heather, chatted with Elizabeth and Stephanie, and called my friend Luke. By that time it was after 12, so I decided to just come back to Eagle. And well loves, I am ready for bed.

Before I go though, I just kind of want to go on a mini-tangent. We are all broken, and we all are either facing or coping with struggles. They may pertain to us or someone dear to us. Regardless, we need to make ourselves available to be a listening ear and support system. Reassure your friends that you are praying for them; let them know that you care. If they trust you enough to confide in you, don't disvalue that. No hardship is insignificant, and none should ignored. Our Father blesses and comforts us even in the smallest of obstacles; let us mirror that love and compassion. Take the time to listen, really listen.

Goodnight loves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment