Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Oi! Bonjia!

Hello long lost blog! I have quite a bit to write seeing as how I've been in Brazil for the past ten days! The trip was so incredible! I got to forge some life changing relationships, and I experienced things I never though I would have. Whether it was working in the trade school {planting, painting, or teaching English class}, delivering groceries to families in the slums, visiting the orphanage, attending church services, or just going to the markets and hanging out with my friends, it was all amazing! So first of all, let me start my saying that I absolutely LOVE those little girls at the trade school {Julia, Jeovana, Ana, Amanda, Amanda, Bianca, Bianca, Gabriela, Milena, Monique, Sophia, Paloma, Dioney, Rebeca... to name a few}. I wish I could see them all the time. I grew so attached. I also really love Iago. He is just too silly :) And then one night, at the rec center in Roberto and Rachel's neighborhood, Stephanie and I met this group of little girls who were no older than nine or ten. We couldn't understand a word they were saying, and they didn't know any English, but they bought Stephanie and I slushies and candy! I didn't know what to say! It was one of the sweetest things, and all I could think to say was "Obrigada" {thank you}. Then, at Junior's college ministry, I met Anna; who sings in their worship band. What a lovely girl! She asked me to pray for  her and the work that the band was doing, and she in turn prayed for me. I literally cried; not because I was sad, but because I felt truly touched. I just think it's truly amazing that this complete stranger would trust me enough to do something like that, and be willing to do the same for me... The slums were hard to visit; to see the severe poverty before your very eyes. Makeshift houses made from scrap materials that you and I would view as garbage {not even the size of my bedroom and housing possibly six people}, trash littering the ground, children running around barefoot or even naked, sewage flowing between rows of houses, and more than a few expecting mothers. I just couldn't help but think, "Could I live like this?" I don't think I could, and it pains me to think that 25% of the 35 million people of Sao Paulo that live that way. I want to do something to get them out of that place. I hate knowing that these kids are going to grow up and become so desperate that they turn to illegal activities. Maybe not all of them will, but Roberto said that was the norm... The whole experience made me really appreciative of what God has blessed me with, and the things I normally take for granted. I think everyone on the team shared that gratitude. It was certainly a learning experience, and I wish that words could accurately depict the marvelous time I had in Brazil. I grew closer to my WEAG friends, made many new friends, and saw things that I never thought I would. Here are a few picture's I'd like to share with you:

Te amo, Brazil :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment