Monday, May 28, 2012

Repeatedly humbled.

Today in Sunday school, the lesson was on materialism. On their worksheet, the girls had to write down what they would buy if they won one million dollars.  And while there were definitely answers such as a dog, a car, a butler, etc. (and who could blame them, right?), one of my middle schoolers truly tugged at my heart-strings. I looked at her paper and saw that she had written down spending $1,000 on a pool membership for her whole family, and $10,000 for charity. And after staring a little longer, I saw that she had written $57,000 next to a house she had drawn. I asked her if she was planning on finding  a house for that price, and her response was "No, I'm pretty sure that's how much is left to pay off our house." Her family's house. I was struck by the nature of her heart, and the consideration that lied there. I know I do not always embody this quality, and in that recognition I was truly convicted.

Then, after reading the story of the rich ruler, the girls were asked this: If Jesus showed up to your house today and told you to sell everything you own (the things you love, use frequently, all of it) and follow Him, would you do it? And while I was sitting there considering how difficult such a situation could really be (considering our culture's dependence on things, especially technology), another one of my girls raised her hand and shared her answer. She said, "I would follow Him, because I know the feeling I get when I worship, and my material things don't give me that same fulfillment." These girls possess beautiful perspective, and it is so true that you can still learn from your younger brothers and sisters in Christ. I, certainly, have found no reason to look down on them. God is at work in each of them, and it is incredible to see them live as vessels. God has used them to humble me, and I am grateful for that.


"All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
'God opposes the proud
    but shows favor to the humble.'”

{1 Peter 5:5}

0 comments:

Post a Comment