Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lost in youth, found through faith.

Have you ever looked back on your childhood mindset? As a child, I always felt so confident in my abilities. Yes, I can fling myself off of a swing set without injuring myself. Of course I can jump off of the diving board without ever having learned how to swim. No, I do not need help reaching the scotch tape on top of the cabinets (that's what the counter is for.... for me to stand on). Candice, I don't need to sleep on the bottom bunk anymore; I am fully capable of fighting the monster that lives up there (she told me that to keep me from arguing with her over who got what bunk). Candice and Jacqueline, let's stunt in the front yard; no I don't need a back spot! I can handle doing cheerleading, softball, and gymnastics all at the same time; I'm not too overwhelmed. Now mom, I know I have a broken wrist, but I can still dance and play softball!

Is that sort of self-assurance something we grow out of? It seems that the older we get, the more we doubt our capabilities. Things that push our boundaries morph into insurmountable obstacles. Scenarios that never received a second thought now trigger self-consciousness. Our childhood stage is defined by innocent inhibition; this age is clouded with anxiety. We are drowning in schedules, commitments, and expectations--more numerous and overwhelming than we are willing to address. Perhaps there within lies the spark for our emotional downshift.

When you're little, you know your easy-outs. Your loved will fight your battles; they can get you through anything. You trust them to do so, leaving it possible for your tender heart to be at ease. Over time, we have developed self-dependence. These battles are ours, personal feats to overcome by our own means. Our loved ones tend to be discredited, our Father not even considered. Harbored burdens dwell in crevices that blockade contentment. Stubborn are we, blind and naive to glorious simplicity.

Nothing placed before us was created to berate or belittle. Those stigmas are of our own hand. Childhood freedom has not been plundered, merely oppressed. The disposition still stands. Heartstrings outstretched in vulnerable confidence, it can be adopted once more.

1 comments:

kayaygee said...

this is awesome steph :D

Post a Comment