Thursday, July 5, 2012

Happy birthday 'Murrica!

Happy 4th of July to all :) Today wasn't too eventful, but it was lovely just the same :) I made sure that Laila got into the spirit of today as well:

She's cute, huh?

After picking up my car, watching some Olympic trials, and taking a nap, I was off to padre's for some dinner and hangout time. His girlfriend and her three daughters were there as well, but it wasn't terribly awkward. He made us steak and baked potatoes, and for dessert we had brownies :) It was just dad and I for dessert, and we ended up watching this documentary about the 1992 Olympic basketball team called, "The Dream Team." It was actually very good, and it re-instilled me with that love I have for the Olympics and the people who represent us in the games. Seeing the way people stand together, united for a common purpose... I feel that pride as an American that is part of what we celebrate on this day annually. No, we aren't celebrating our sports and athletic teams, but we celebrate our status as a nation, one united under God. Despite differences or discrepancies, we all share that nationality :)

Then, on the way to Nikki and John's house, I started thinking about one of my favorite patriotic songs, "God Bless the USA." First and foremost I reflected on the fact that God has set us all free by the blood of His son, Jesus. It is because of Him that we have salvation. Then I thought about the line in this song that says, "And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that life to me." I am able to worship God freely and serve the Lord openly because of men and women who have defended the freedom we fought for as Americans. So yes, I am proud to be an American :)


I hope you all had a wonderful Independence Day :) I know I loved being able to spend quality time with my dad and fellow youth leaders whom I love so dearly :) Happy birthday, America!

0 comments:

Post a Comment