Friday, June 18, 2010

He would have been five years older...

Okay, so today was a "running on 5 hours of sleep" kind of day, but that didn't really hit me until just now; just a little disclaimer before I begin my rant... okay! So, I went to the river today with the lovely and beautiful Lindsay Dunnavant :) We almost drove to two completely different locations (which would have been awful), but luckily we were saved via texting conversation, haha. I had such a great time. We caught some rays, enjoyed the water, and talked on and on about our secret love for Buffy and old Disney channel shows/movies. You know Lindsay, you and I have a lot more in common that I had originally thought :) And even though we were being creeped on by this sketchy guy with a camera, we were still able to enjoy ourselves. There was this duck that just swam aimlessly around our area; not seeming to care that there were people everywhere. I thought he was cute:


After leaving the river around 1:45, we drove over to Starbucks to quench our thirst. Me being the absent-minded person that I am left my wallet in my car (so dumb), so we didn't stay there long before going back to church so that I could get my car and get some lunch. Lindsay and I continued our rendez-vous at Panera. We continued discussing life's little encounters; as well as our tendencies in handling conflicts. Our conversations are never really awkward. I love that. And I tried to pay Lindsay back for the tea she had bought me at Starbucks. She tried to be sneaky and shove it back into my purse, but of course that was not acceptable. For those of you who aren't aware, haha, I always win ;) Thus, even though I had to run and stick the money under her windshield wiper blade on her car, Lindsay finally took my money. Perhaps it wasn't willingly, and she may or may not have been "angry," but it's all good :) From Panera, I quickly made my way over to Brookland Middle School to judge their cheerleading tryouts. I am such a Simon Cowell when it comes to judging. Let me put it to you this way: 38 girls tried out, and I only put 8 on my "yes" list. The rest were under the "maybe" or "no" column. Maybe I'm a tad harsh, but never fret. My sister ended up putting 18 girls on the squad, and I know they're going to be excited. After leaving the school, I went back to my sister's house with her and Tammy (her roommate). We watched some Keeping Up With the Kardashians and Kourtney and Khloe take Miami. That, my friends, was some intense stuff. After a while of that, we decided to have dinner at Chick-fil-a; yummm! Then I made a pit stop by my house, had Candice braid my hair, and then I met up with a group of amazing friends at Sweet Frog.

{As much as I go to Sweet Frog, I could really serve as a means of advertisement for these people.}

{I have way to much fun with the "face mosaic" option on my camera, haha. Alex looks like a pedofile.}

Once we left there, we hung out at Elizabeth's house. We played a few rounds of Pit (greatest game ever), and eventually I fell asleep like I always do. I was woken up around 12:30, and was sent home; which is a good thing because I keep telling Elizabeth that she needs to kick me out of her house sometimes, haha.

{June 17, 1982}
Today would have been my older brother's 28th birthday. I took some time to just try and grasp that concept. Matt would have been just two years shy of 30, and he only got to see the age of 23. Where would he have been right now? Would he and Katie have gotten married? Would the child that she now has have been his? I guess it's just strange for me. I really just wish that things could be the way they used to be in terms of celebration. We would all go out to eat at Famous Dave's. Matt would order a Long Island Iced Tea, and the two of us would place a penny bet on which of us could finish our ice cream the fastest. And I can't do that anymore. We can't do that anymore... But you know, I'm aware that he's in a better place now. Perhaps he was celebrating with Jesus; I could only hope. I love and miss you, Matt. You were taken from this world too soon, and there are days like today when I really wish I could just hug you; maybe even talk to you about what's on my mind. I know I can still talk to you, but it would only be a one-way conversation. The sound of your voice is becoming more vague, but I still remember clear as day the way your voice would completely jump in pitch whenever you would see me and bellow out my name. I miss that; more than you will ever know. Happy birthday big brother. You are forever in my heart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment