Friday, October 26, 2012

The Election

Okay, we all know that we're in the middle of a presidential campaign. I myself am registered to vote, and I know which box I'm checking come November 6th. And I've known for a while my stance, who I'd be inclined to vote for, and what issues are important to me. What I did not realize, however, is how nasty people get during election season. I'm not talking about the candidates, either; I mean my friends that I love and generally respect. The rude slanders and unnecessary comments being made all over my Facebook and Twitter feeds are despicable. The hostility of these debates I can bare, but not seeing my friends being so disrespectful; especially since they're my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Even before the debates, I constantly confronted this issue of being belittled for my political standpoint. My friends, and even family members, ridiculed my opinions, and they spoke to me as if I were senseless and naive. I am neither, and I was appalled. Someone literally even told me that, "When you're older, if you have any sense, you'll change your mind." Well, if I didn't have any interest in swinging the other way before, then I certainly don't now--- not after comments like that or the snide commentaries on my social media feeds... Needless to say I long await the race to be over.

As for the Fishbowl, we're a split house. Some of us are voting one way, the rest the other. Thus, I made it a point to make sure that we have equal representation on our house. If there's one poster, there darn sure better be another! It's fair that way, I think :)

Obama/Biden poster in the top window; Romeny/Ryan in the bottom.

P.S.- I purposefully omitting my platform. I don't need to stir-up avoidable drama, you know? I respect everyone's opinions, whether they're in line with mine or not. Utilize your voice; you do you. If you're acting for what you believe is right/best, then to that I say, "You go Glen Co-co!" Haha :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment