Tuesday, April 2, 2013

HowGodWorks: SAO 2013 Spring Retreat

Now that the pictures have all been posted, I can give you all a look into the incredible retreat I got to experience with my Sigma Alpha Omega sorority sisters March 22-24. It was called "HowGodWorks," a play off of Hogwarts from Harry Potter.


Now, I know you are probably wondering how you make a book about wizardry Biblical. Well, let's just say that our amazing retreat committee (made up of Taylor, Rachel, Tori, and Katie) is extremely creative :) Here were our houses:

 ReigningTall! (A play off of Ravenclaw.)

 SeeingHim! (A play off of Slytherin.)

 HumbleStuff! (A play off of Hufflepuff.)

And GraceInStore! (A play off of Gryffindor.)

All of us got to experience our own Sorting Hat ceremony....


and I was sorted into SeeingHim (along with Lauren, Tiffany, Hannah, Brandi, and Kirsten)!


We may not have been so great at scavenger hunts, but SeeingHim House was the champion of the Quidditch tournament, y'all!


I got to play Seeker, and I caught the snitch for both of our games! Twas an awesome time indeed :)


We made wands and bobbed for our "sisters."






We even got to attend a Yule Ball!

Fishies!

And for those who are wondering what the focus of our Bible studies was, we studied and discussed what it means to be God's chosen people. (It ties in with the seem since Harry Potter was "the chosen one.")


Yes, we talked about what it looks like to be chosen by God, what that means for our lives, and how we need God's wisdom to live our His plan for us as His chosen people :) The main verse being:

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." 
{1 Peter 2:9}

Other key scriptures included those that were associated with each of the aforementioned houses:

ReigningTall:
"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere." 
{James 3:17}
SeeingHim:
"Therefore, my beloved, be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the work of the Lord, because you know that in the Lord your labor is not in vain." 
{1 Corinthians 15:58}
HumbleStuff:
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God somethin g to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness." 
{Philippians 2:3-7}
GraceInStore:
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” 
{Deuteronomy 31:6}
We also had two worship times where we could reflect and sing our praises to the Lord :) Truly, this was an amazing weekend with some of the most incredible people I have in my life! I love being able to grow closer to my sisters, while also being made stronger in my faith and growing closer to God :) I know God's plan for me involved being here with these girls, and I am eternally grateful to Him for leading me to this amazing group of beautiful Christian women.

 My Little and I, with my apple of a Grand-Little :)

Fishbowl :)

Gammas :)

Sisters :)

I am so blessed :) I am blessed by the Best, and so are you! Dove love!

*Photo credit: Taylor and Hannah H.

0 comments:

Post a Comment